Thursday, November 15, 2007

Finding daily ranges on selected stocks

I am searching for stocks that have wide daily range of at least $10 or more …

Finding such stocks, I will buy calls or puts, depending on the direction the stock is moving that day …

The question is how to find such stocks that will fulfill these criteria?

I consider two variables

Volatility?
Difference in days high and low: Range = Day’s High – Day’s low

I have observed that stocks with the following characteristics :

High Beta (> 3) has higher ranges.
Stock price has to be high enough to have a range (> $100).
Avg. daily volume has to high (> 1 million).
Options volume has to be large as well.
Stock must have some movement (last volume > avg. daily volume) for the day to be traded.

Some of the stocks listed below have come close to my criteria:

SPWR, FSLR, POT, BIDU, PCU, RIMM, RTP, PTR, CEO, FLR, CLB, SNP, HDB, FWLT, EQIX, UBB, DECK, DE, AAPL, DO, WBK, BG, RIG, MA, CMI, ISRG, SPW , SU, PKX, WYNN, GOOG.

Although they are all well know stocks, and could be considered as momentum stocks as well in today’s market (that is not the reason for me to trade them).

No comments:

Post a Comment